Did you know that your bulky winter clothes and snowsuits aren’t ideal for wearing underneath a car seat’s harness? The fluffy padding flattens out due to the force of a car crash, creating additional space beneath the saddle. As a result, the child may slip through the straps and be thrown out of the seat.
A Few Important Safety Tips
Here are some ideas for keeping your children warm while keeping them safe during the winter months.
- One of the best ways to keep your family safe is to know where to have your seatbelts fixed in case something happens. Have you actually ever stopped to Google where the nearest seatbelt repair shop is? It’s good to know these things in advance, even before something happens.
- Dressing your child warmly is the best way to keep them warm during the cold rides. You do not, however, need to dress them in bulky clothing. Thin clothing can be used to layer your child’s clothing. Begin with tight-fitting bottom layers like leggings and tights. Then they put on some pants and a warmer top. You can dress them up with a thin-fleece jacket for the top. Adults and babies should both wear an additional layer.
- Hats, mittens, socks, and booties can all be used to keep children warm in the winter. These are extremely helpful in maintaining a comfortable temperature while preventing the car seat straps from becoming tangled.
- If your child is dressed in several layers of clothing, it may be difficult for the harness to fit snugly enough around them. It is necessary to tighten the car seat harness so that it fits snugly against your child’s chest unless you can pinch the straps. The car’s straps must be tightened for it to operate correctly.
- You can wrap a blanket around the seat belt straps or wear your winter coat backward over the straps. Jackets with side zips that allow the back to flip forward over the harness are preferred by parents. However, keep in mind that the top should be removable so that your baby does not overheat as the car warms up.
- Nothing significant and bulky should go underneath the straps or between the child’s body and the harness strap. As a result, you should only use the car seat cover if there is no layer beneath the baby. Keep your baby’s face exposed to avoid suffocating them. Some products should not be used with car seats. Choose car seat bundling items with caution.
- Always keep in mind that if the item does not come with car seats, it has not been crash-tested. And this interferes with the protection in the event of an accident. Inserts for sleeping bags and other stroller accessories should not be used in car seats.
Life on the road can be highly uncomfortable, especially during long winter seasons. When it comes to our children, we want nothing but the best for them. We want to ensure that they are always safe and warm for long rides and inconvenient situations.
To do this, we must use the proper techniques to keep our family safe and dress them warmly without compromising their safety. We hope those tips above could be as helpful for parents out there who are planning on driving during the holiday season.
If you want to ensure the effectiveness of your seatbelts and safety measures in your car, SRS Restore is here to assist you. They offer seatbelt and airbag module repair at affordable prices. Visit us and select a service to learn more.